Saturday, February 11, 2012


So I posted this picture over on facebook about two weeks ago with the question, "What am I"... if you look  a couple of posts below you'll see the finished project but I took a better picture for the facebook reveal so I thought I'd add it here too!

This was a really fun project, it started out as an "I wonder if this would work idea" and kind of took on a life of it's own.  I'm obsessed with fabric wrapped clothesline baskets, bowls and bags at the moment but I wanted to try incorporating the technique with more traditional quilting.  So, I made a wrapped clothesline rectangular panel and quilted two rectangles of coordinating material, and cut them to shape for the sides of the bag.  I added inside pockets and then used more clothesline to define the shape of the size panels.  I had been thinking I could just zig-zag stitch the three pieces together but it didn't work the way I wanted to I ended up doing the actual bag construction by hand.  It went pretty quickly and turned out to be amazingly strong and sturdy.  I think my favorite thing about it is that it will stand up by itself - easy to load up and empty and find things inside!

2 comments:

  1. this looks like a great tote, and I like that it is firm too, It bothers me a bit when bags are too flimsy, m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clothesline baskets are on my I-wish-I-had-time list for years now, yours are absolutely scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete